Tour South Berwick Village section intro: The Plain
The presence of the Boston to Portland Turnpike through South Berwick in the late 1700s and early 1800s drew several early residents to town on what became Portland Street between Colcord and Goodwin Streets. Most had farms and stores on the gentle terrain that comprises downtown South Berwick today. Documents show that residents referred to this part of town as “the Plain” till at least 1829. Local militia training exercises were held on farm fields at the end of each year's harvest.
The south side of the street was dominated throughout the 1800s by the Raynes family farm at the bottom of the hill. When that family departed, Victorian homes were built and Highland Avenue opened.
The Plain area is part of South Berwick Village Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.