Jewett Brochure 5. Thomas Jewett House, 151 Portland Street
Built c. 1795. Thomas Jewett, who built this imposing house, was Sarah’s grandfather’s brother and business partner. The house was renamed the Grant House in 1979 when it became part of a complex of housing for the elderly. The Civil War Memorial across the street was originally named Jewett Park in honor of the family. Almost 200 men from South Berwick fought in the Civil War, when the town’s population was about 2,600.
--From the Sarah Orne Jewett Walking Tour brochure by the Jewett Eastman Memorial Committee, trustees of Jewett Eastman House.