Jewett Brochure 16. Counting House Museum, Corner of Route 4 and Liberty Street

Counting House Museum, South Berwick, MaineBuilt c.1830. The Greek Revival counting house was originally the business office for a complex of nineteenth-century mill buildings that stretched along the Salmon Falls River, employing hundreds of workers who made sheeting out of cotton from Southern plantations. Today the building, the only surviving structure of the complex, houses the archives and exhibitions of the Old Berwick Historical Society. It is open weekend afternoons in summer and year round by appointment. Just downriver, near the town’s Counting House Park, was Quamphegan Landing, where fl at-bottomed gundalows carrying goods between South Berwick and Portsmouth once docked, and where Sarah would set out for solitary boating explorations of the river. 

--From the Sarah Orne Jewett Walking Tour brochure by the Jewett Eastman Memorial Committee, trustees of Jewett Eastman House.