Jewett Brochure 13. First Parish Federated Church, Main and Academy Streets
Built 1826. The First Parish Congregational Church was founded in 1702 and moved to this site in 1826. When the Jewett family attended services, the parishioners sat in high square pews, later replaced by modern bench pews. Note this structure’s similarity to the Baptist Church a block downhill – the same builder is believed to have constructed both.
--From the Sarah Orne Jewett Walking Tour brochure by the Jewett Eastman Memorial Committee, trustees of Jewett Eastman House.