Jewett Brochure 12. Hon. John B. Nealley House, 169 Main Street
Buiit c. 1830. This grand house, perhaps based on a design by architect Asher Benjamin, was home to Sarah’s cousin Mary E. Jewett (1817–1890) and her husband John Nealley (1810–1886), who practiced law and served in turn as town tax collector and as a state senator. Their children attended Miss Raynes’ School on Portland Street with the Jewett girls.
--From the Sarah Orne Jewett Walking Tour brochure by the Jewett Eastman Memorial Committee, trustees of Jewett Eastman House.