Rev. Lewis Tibbetts (1810-1885), Methodist minister; Provensal family
c. 1870 - Tibbetts/Provensal Store - 432 Main Street
This store appears on the map of 1872 as owned by L. Tibbetts, whose property in this area eventually lent the name to Tibbetts Street. The family was perhaps related to Rev. Lewis Tibbetts (1810-1885) of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Local residents recall that by the early 20th century the store contained three businesses including Provensal clothing store (left section), a beer joint (center) that became a lunch counter after South Berwick went dry in 1939, and a beauty parlor/barber shop operated by Mr. and Mrs. J. M. (Jack) Lynch (right). Hector Desjardin also had a barbershop there before the Lynches. It also briefly contained the O. Dube boot and shoe store.
Mrs. J. M. Lynch, Ladies’ Hair Dressing Parlor, Salmon Street, South Berwick, Maine – “Tel. 112-3 – Work by appointment – SHAMPOOING, FACIALS, BOBBING, MARCEL WAVING, VIOLET RAY TREATMENT, MANICURING, EYE BROW ARCHING, ETC.” -- 1925 South Berwick Town Report