John Cleary and Clifford Cleary, tobacconists and candy store owners
c. 1870 - Cleary Store - 472 Main Street
John Cleary, followed by his son Clifford Cleary, operated a candy and tobacco store here in the early 20th century, with gas pumps to the left of the building, according to a local resident. The property appears as a store on a map of 1927. Lower Main Street, South Berwick, was once known as Salmon Street. The Cleary Store is at left in the early photo.