Charles Wentworth

Ebenezer Hanson House Sewall Road



late 1800s - Charles Wentworth House - 15 Sewall Road

On the map of 1872 this site was occupied by the home of pharmacist and ink manufacturer Ebenezer S. Hanson (1825-1905), whose family owned several properties, including a drug store in Central Square, South Berwick. Prior to that, on a c. 1856 map, it was owned by a J. Frost. 

The present house was built by Charles Wentworth, probably late in the 19th century. In the 1950s the Wentworth family donated it to Berwick Academy to be used as the headmaster's residence. It later contained business offices.

Sewall Road from Main Street has hardly changed since the 1800s, when maps identified it as School Street. A one-room schoolhouse served children living in District #4, until the construction of South Berwick Central School on Main Street in 1925. Beyond the Wentworth house, at the top of the hill, was the parsonage of the First Baptist Church on Main Street.

In 1927 the town renamed the road Sewall Road, after a family living at the top of the hill on the north side of the street. Helen D. Sewall died on her 77th birthday in 1922. Jotham Sewall died on his 85th birthday in 1932. His sister, Jane Sewall, lived to be about 100 and held the Boston Post Cane as the town's oldest resident.