Tour South Berwick Village section intro: Monument Area
This area is part of the South Berwick Village Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Rising out of ancient farmland once known simply as “the Plain,” Portland Street grew along the old Boston to Portland turnpike. Following this old stagecoach route out of town, one passes the site of a town house, now marked by the 1898 Civil War monument. Originally an old Baptist meeting house built in the 1700s, the town house was used as an early seat of local government through the mid-1800s. Some homes built near the intersection of today’s Agamenticus Road were owned by members of the Baptist congregation as well as a Quaker family. Some once contained stores and shops. A one-room school house serving this neighborhood later became a private home.