N. Hanson, Druggist

  The store that once housed N. Hanson, Druggist

Brothers Nicholas Hanson, Jr. (1831-1904) and Ebenezer S. Hanson (1825-1905) were in the pharmacy business together in South Berwick as early as the 1850s.  They seem to have grown up in the Hanson   Ad from the June 1871 edition of The Cornucopia, a newspaper published by the business communityHomestead at 143 Main Street. In the Maine Business Directory of 1857, Ebenezer was listed as an “ink manufacturer.” Nicholas was a Master Mason and member of St. John's Lodge, No. 51, and made his home in the Jedediah Jenkins House at 105 Portland Street. In 1872 he also ran a furniture business across the street in the former Brown Store.