Charles E. Hobbs, grocer

Charles E. Hobbs House c. 1875

c. 1875 – Charles E. Hobbs House - 88 Portland Street

This house is part of the South Berwick Village District on the National Register of Historic Places. Charles E. Hobbs (perhaps also spelled Hobbes) had a grocery store in the Business Block during the 1870s. The Hobbs shop may have later become the Maddox grocery store. Hobbs married Anna B. Wilson of Kittery in August 1871, and this was their home.