This house is part of the South Berwick Village District on the National Register of Historic Places. One of the first settlers to farm in the area of today's South Berwick Village was Thomas Butler, born in 1674. About 1790, his descendants built the Butler House still standing near the intersection of Portland Street and Agamenticus Road.
A 1913 photo in the Old Berwick Historical Society archives has a note that reads, “Old Butler House… 2nd oldest house in town.” While this is not necessarily accurate, the Butler House surely is one of the oldest houses on Portland Street. The large hill rising up behind the house has been known to this day as Butler’s Hill (or Powderhouse Hill, for the ammunition storage that used to be up there).
Robert Hodsdon (sometimes spelled Hodgdon) likely built this house about the time of his marriage to Fanny Wadley on August 28, 1803. The house has a post and beam frame and appears to have been built as a commercial structure, perhaps a store. After the Hodsdons, the house was owned by merchant John S. Pike (1815 -1888) and his wife, Abby S. Pike (1814-1896). He was agent for The Union Store, located in the brick Business Block downtown.