The early English ships came about ten miles up the Piscataqua/Salmon Falls Rivers to the present location of the Hamilton House in South Berwick. Deep-water anchorages there fostered a profitable ship building industry.
If you were going to school in the 1870’s, would you go to Central School? No!
1791 House – Not to be reproduced without permission of Berwick Academy
Founded in 1791, Berwick Academy is an independent coeducational country day school, grades K-12, serving over 580 students from the Seacoast area of southern Maine and New Hampshire. It is today Maine's oldest school. Among its students have been authors Sarah Orne Jewett and Gladys Hasty Carroll, artist Marcia Oakes Woodbury, Congressman John Holmes Burleigh, and Arizona Governor John Noble Goodwin.
Worster Brook in Berwick, Maine, sometimes called Worster's River, takes its name from Moses Worster/Wooster or Worcester, who built a mill there in 1709 with Timothy Wentworth, according to the book "Piscataqua Pioneers." Born November 10, 1643 in Salisbury, Mass., Worster was known as "Old Contrary" and lived to at least age 88. He first farmed for many years on 200 acres in present-day Eliot near Sturgeon Creek, but at 66 built his mill on the creek at Berwick.
Worster’s River can be seen today from a small bridge where it runs under Route 236 between South Berwick and Berwick.
Worster Brook flows into the nearby Salmon Falls River. During the conflict between English settlers and Native Americans known as King Williams War in 1689/90, the brook became the scene of a skirmish following an attack on the settlements of Salmon Falls, Quamphegan and Newichawannock, now in South Berwick. Settlers whose family members had been taken captive made an unsuccessful effort to recover the hostages before they were taken to Canada.
Records of the Berwick, Maine, town meeting on April 3, 1809 (before South Berwick, Berwick and North Berwick were separate towns) called for the construction of a powder house. It seems likely this building gave its name to Powder House Hill, also known as Butler's Hill.