Account of attack by French and Native Americans on English settlement at Salmon Falls and today's South Berwick, Maine.  Likely sites include Quamphegan, present location of the Counting House Museum, and the homestead of Humphrey Chadbourne.
 
Portsm  18th March 1689/90
 
Much Hon   Sirs
     Yesterdy we gave accot of ye dreadful destruction of Salmon ffalls the perticulers whereof please take as followeth;

 

 

1814: South Berwick Comes into Its Own

by Norma Keim

February 12, 1814 was a momentous day for the village of Quamphegan.  Located on the site of an ancient Indian village still bearing its name, it was the commercial center of the town of Berwick, which then included today’s South Berwick, Berwick and North Berwick.

 Town of South Berwick incorporates 1814

James Sullivan, Massachusetts’ governor from 1807–08, had apprenticed at Quamphegan as a law clerk, and in his 1795 "The History of the Province of Maine," identifies Quamphegan Landing as the "great Landing place," located at what is now the Counting House Park on Liberty Street in South Berwick.

 

Why “Berwick”?
17th century tower in Dunbar, Scotland
Until 1814, Maine’s three Berwicks -- South Berwick, Berwick and North Berwick -- were all one town, Berwick.

Why that name?

    Many New England towns were named for English towns -- Plymouth, Massachusetts or Dover, New Hampshire, for example. Some -- like Pittsfield, MA, or Wolfeboro, NH -- were named to honor great English leaders. Throughout the 1600s the area that became the Berwicks in Maine was part of the town of Kittery and known at first as Quamphegan or Newichawannock. But gradually the name Barwick or Berwick took hold, taken from a town associated with England’s old rival, Scotland. Why?

 17th century tower in Dunbar, Scotland

Old Berwick’s story began over 4,000 years ago as home to Native American fishermen and hunters. For millennia, Indians migrated during the spring from the interior of southern Maine to the Salmon Falls River. 

Here, they established encampments adjacent to the river and today’s South Berwick’s Counting House, Quamphegan Falls, Rollinsford, and the Great Falls in Somersworth harvesting the salmon, shad, alewives, and eels that made their annual migratory runs up Maine’s coastal rivers. By the time English explorers such as Martin Pring (1602) and John Smith (1614) sailed along the coast of southern Maine, the Indians of Newichawannock and Quamphegan had established planting grounds of corn and beans along the Salmon Falls River. 

 

A Summary of the Battle of Dunbar and the Scots of Berwick, Maine

Map from Old Berwick Historical Society collection.  To enlarge map, click on small rectangle.

 

In January, 1649, Oliver Cromwell’s anti-Royalist forces executed King Charles I of England in London. Until that time, Scotland had sided with Cromwell in the English Civil War. But the king had been born in Edinburgh, the Scottish capital, and his murder dismayed his northern countrymen, who later that year defied the English Commonwealth by proclaiming as king his son, Charles II.

Subcategories

  Like us on Facebook and receive updates on upcoming OBHS events!

Tour South Berwick
JSN Epic template designed by JoomlaShine.com